Autism and Gender
Tuesday 27th June 2023Village Hotel Leeds South, Capitol Blvd, Tingley, Morley, Leeds, LS27 0TS
9:00am Registration, 9.30am Welcome and 4.30pm Close
This conference will provide you with the latest developments in Autism and Gender. Dr Keri Lodge, Consultant Learning Disability Psychiatrist at Leeds Autism Diagnostic Service, will Chair the day along with expert speakers.
The workshop will outline that there is some evidence to show a link between gender dysphoria and autism, although this is not clear. In addition to this clinicians may find themselves wondering whether a person's gender dysphoria is linked to a winder feeling of not fitting in socially, and conversely, whether a person's social communication and interaction difficulties are explained by gender dysphoria. Also professionals working with people with autism and with gender dysphoria need an understanding of both conditions to best meet these services users' needs.
Delegates will be updated on the following topics:
- Autism - What do you need to know?
- Gender - What do you need to know?
- Gender Identity Development and Autism
- Using Acceptable Language – What do you need to know?
- Gender Incongruence and Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Intellectual Disability, Capacity and What we can learn